Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of Florida
(Ph.D'04, University of Texas at Austin)
Office: 339D Larsen Hall
Phone: (352) 392-9510
E-mail: taoli at ece dot ufl dot edu
Currently on leave at the National Science Foundation on assignment as a Program Director in the CCF division within the CISE directorate. For NSF business, please contact me at taoli at nsf dot gov or (703) 292-8238.
Dr. Tao Li is a full professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Florida. He received a Ph.D. in Computer Engineering from the University of Texas at Austin. His research interests include computer architecture, microprocessor/memory/storage system design, virtualization technologies, energy-efficient/sustainable/ dependable data center, cloud/big data computing platforms, the impacts of emerging technologies/applications on computing, and evaluation of computer systems. Dr. Tao Li received 2009 National Science Foundation Faculty Early CAREER Award, 2008, 2007, 2006 IBM Faculty Awards, 2008 Microsoft Research Safe and Scalable Multi-core Computing Award and 2006 Microsoft Research Trustworthy Computing Curriculum Award. Dr. Tao Li co-authored two papers that won the Best Paper Awards in ICCD 2016, HPCA 2011 and six papers that were nominated for the Best Paper Awards in HPCA 2017, ICPP 2015, CGO 2014, DSN 2011, MICRO 2008 and MASCOTS 2006. Dr. Tao Li is one of the College of Engineering winners, University of Florida Doctor Dissertation Advisor/Mentoring Award for 2013-2014 and 2011-2012.
- Microsoft Research
- NASA/Florida Space Grant Consortium
- National Science Foundation
- Semiconductor Research Corporation
- Towards Architectural Support for "Full Containerization" in Container Based Network Function Virtualization, ASPLOS 2017.
- Towards Pervasive and User Satisfactory CNN across GPU Microarchitectures, HPCA 2017 (Best Paper Candidate).
- Towards Efficient Server Architecture for Virtualized Network Function Deployment: Implications and Implementations, MICRO 2016.
- Bridging the I/O Performance Gap for Big Data Workloads: A New NVDIMM-based Approach, MICRO 2016.
- Bridging the Semantic Gaps of GPU Acceleration for Scale-out CNN-based Big Data Processing: Think Big, See Small, PACT 2016.
- Towards Sustainable in-Situ Server Systems in the Big Data Era, ISCA 2015.
- HEB: Deploying and Managing Hybrid Energy Buffers for Improving Datacenter Efficiency and Economy, ISCA 2015.
- BAAT: Towards Dynamically Managing Battery Aging in Green Datacenters, DSN 2015.
- Understanding the Virtualization “Tax” of Scale-out Pass-Through GPUs in GaaS Clouds: An Empirical Study, HPCA 2015.
- Optimizing Virtual Machine Consolidation Performance on NUMA Server Architecture for Cloud Workloads, ISCA 2014.
- Enabling Datacenter Servers to Scale Out Economically and Sustainably, MICRO 2013.
- Power-performance Co-optimization of GPU Core Architecture using Resistive Memory, HPCA 2013.
- Enabling Distributed Generation Powered Sustainable High-Performance Data Center, HPCA 2013.
- Exploring High-Performance and Energy Proportional Interface for Phase Change Memory Systems, HPCA 2013.
iSwitch: Coordinating and Optimizing Renewable Energy Powered Server Clusters, ISCA 2012.
Helmet: A Resistance Drift Resilient Architecture for Multi-level Cell Phase Change Memory System, DSN 2011(Best Paper Candidate).
SolarCore: Solar Energy Driven Multi-core Architecture Power Management, HPCA 2011 (Best Paper Award).
Mercury: A Fast and Energy-Efficient Multi-level Cell based Phase Change Memory System, HPCA 2011.
Architecting Reliable Multi-core Network-on-Chip for Small Scale Processing Technology, DSN 2010.
Characterizing and Mitigating the Impact of Process Variations on Phase Change based Memory Systems, MICRO 2009.
Exploring Phase Change Memory and 3D Die-Stacking for Power/Thermal Friendly, Fast and Durable Memory Architectures, PACT 2009.
Soft Error Vulnerability Aware Process Variation Mitigation, HPCA 2009.
Microarchitecture Soft Error Vulnerability Characterization and Mitigation under 3D Integration Technology, MICRO 2008 (Best Paper Candidate).
NBTI Tolerant Microarchitecture Design in the Presence of Process Variation, MICRO 2008.
Combined Circuit and Microarchitecture Techniques for Effective Soft Error Robustness in SMT Processors, DSN 2008.
Informed Microarchitecture Design Space Exploration using Workload Dynamics, MICRO 2007.
Complexity-based Program Phase Analysis and Classification, PACT 2006.
Run-time Modeling and Estimation of Operating System Power Consumption, SIGMETRICS 2003.
Understanding and Improving Operating System Effects in Control Flow Prediction, ASPLOS 2002.
Current (I am lucky to work with the following excellent students)
- Yang Hu (Ph.D. Student, UF Alumni Fellow)
- Meng Wang (Ph.D. Student)
- Huixiang Chen (Ph.D. Student)
- Mingcong Song (Ph.D. Student)
- Hao Meng (Ph.D. Student)
- Jiaqi Zhang (Ph.D. Student)
- Ming Liu (Ph.D. Student, UF Alumni Fellow, University of Washington)
- Bingyi Cao (Ph.D. Student, Columbia University)
Graduated (Wish them all the best for their future endeavors)
- Dr. Chang Burm Cho (Ph.D. Dec.'08, First Employment: Senior Design Engineer, Philips North America Corporation)
- Dr. Xin Fu (Ph.D. Dec.'09, Computing Innovation Fellow'09, First Employment: Tenure Track Assistant Professor, University of Kansas, NSF CAREER Award'14)
- Dr. James Poe (Ph.D. Dec.'09, NSF Graduate Research Fellow'06-'09, First Employment: Tenure Track Assistant Professor, Miami Dade College)
- Dr. Wangyuan Zhang (Ph.D. Aug.'10, UF Outstanding International Student'09, Computing Innovation Fellow'10 (declined by Wangyuan Zhang due to other job offers), First Employment: Technical Staff, NetApp)
- Dr. Clay Hughes (Ph.D. Dec.'10, First Employment: Assistant Professor, Florida State University at Panama City)
- Dr. Zhongqi Li (Ph.D. Dec.'12, UF Alumni Fellow, First Employment: Qualcomm)
- Dr. Nilanjan Goswami (Ph.D. Aug.'13, First Employment: Apple)
- Dr. Amer Qouneh (Ph.D. May'14, First Employment: Tenure Track Assistant Professor, Western New England University)
- Dr. Chao Li (Ph.D. Aug.'14, UF Alumni Fellow, Attributes of a Gator Engineer Recognition Award for Creativity'10, UF Outstanding International Student'10, Yahoo! Key Scientific Challenges Program Award'12, ACM SIGARCH Student Scholarship for Turing Centenary Celebration'12, Facebook Fellowship'13, Chinese Government Scholarship for Outstanding Self-financed Students Studying Abroad'14, First Employment: Tenure Track Assistant Professor, Shanghai Jiaotong University)
- Dr. Ruijin Zhou (Ph.D. May'15, First Employment: VMware)
Master (Thesis only)
- Madhura Joshi (MS. Dec'10, First Employment:Infinera)
- Ramkumar Shankar (MS. Dec'10, First Employment:AMD)
- Indrashish Basu (MS. Aug'14, First Employment: AMD)
- Juncheng Gu (MS. May'15, University of Michigan)
Visiting Scholars/ Ph.D Students
- Kan Zhong
- Yuting Dai
- Dr. Jingling Yuan
- Dr. Yiou Chen
- Dr. Fang Liu
- Dr. Yuanchao Xu
- Dr. Shang Ma
- Dr. Wei Wang
- Yuhai Li
- Hang Zhang
- Yunlong Xu
- Longjun Liu
- Dr. Lanqiu Huang
- Dr. Zhengxi Wei
- Dr. Chaoyang Yang
- Dr. Yunling Zhou
- Dr. Wei Fang